Govt. General Hospital, India
Breast cancer is the most frequent cancer among women, impacting over 1.5 million women each year, and also causes the greatest number of cancer-related deaths among women.
Myths on breast cancer:
1. only women with a family history of breast cancer are at risk.
2. Wearing an underwire bra increase your risk of getting breast cancer.
3. Most breast lumps are cancerous.
4. Breast implants can raise your cancer risk.
5. All women have a 1 in 8 chance of getting breast cancer.
6. Small breasted women have less chance of getting breast cancer.
7. You can’t get breast cancer after a mastectomy.
8. Your father’s family history of breast cancer doesn’t affect your risk as much as your mothers.
9. Annual mammograms expose you to so much radiation that they increase your risk of cancer.
10. Needle biopsies can disturb cancer cells and cause them to spread to other parts of the body.
11. If your mammography report is negative there is nothing else to worry about.
12. Removing the entire breast gives you a better chance of surviving cancer than having a lumpectomy with radiation therapy.
13. Overweight women have the same breast cancer risk as other women.
14. Fertility treatments increase the risk of getting breast cancer.
15. Living near power lines can cause breast cancer.
16. Breast cancer is preventable.
Sankhari J has completed her M.Sc Nursing (Dept of Community Health Nursing) at the age of 37 years from Pondicherry University. She is the Nursing Officer in Government General Hospital, Puducherry, India. She has published 1 paper in reputed journal and presented more than 10 concept paper in International and National conferences.