RegisteredHerbalist, Master Gardener, Founder of Rosemary Garden Herbal Care,Taiwan
*Corresponding author:Erica Kuo, RegisteredHerbalist, Master Gardener, Founder of Rosemary Garden Herbal Care, Taiwan. Tel: +886228314313;Email:email@example.com
Received Date: 13March 2018; Accepted Date: 16 March, 2018; Published Date: 26 March, 2018
When it comes to fall, we must take good care of respiratory tract. According to TCM theory (Traditional Chinese Medicine),autumn is the season of "Metal"(金, Jin, the definition of Jin in Chinese it means Gold) and harvest. It is the season to prepare for the coming of winter. Since October, the influenza is endemic and it’s the best time to care the respiratory system; so, called the lung 肺"Fei"in TCM.
As following is the recipe of elderflower syrup. This syrup will tonify lungs and respiratory system with Qi tonics and relief the lung congestion.Qi means "vital energy".The recipe also included 5 flavors based on TCM five elements theory.
· Pungent : Warming, spicy herbs to awaken the senses and get Qi moving.
· Salt : High in minerals can affect the balance of fluids in the bodies.
· Sour : Stimulate digestion, usually high in antioxidants.
· Bitter : Digestion-aids and have cooling and draining property to help modulate inflammation.
· Sweet : Build and restore energy and modulate the immune system.
a) 30 gdry organic licorice root(sweet, Qi support).
b) 10g dry organiccinnamon (pungent).
c) 15 g dry organicEchinacea root (pungent).
d) 15gdry organic elderberry (bitter, sour).
e) 5gdry gingerroot (fresh 10gpungent).
f) One cup Honey (sweet).
· Step by Step
1. Place all herbs in a saucepan to 1 quart of cold water. Keep low heat; simmer the liquid down to 1 pint.
2. Squeeze, discard and compost the herbs.
3. Add honey and mix the liquid well for couple minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and prepare clean bottle for use.
· Usage:Add 5ml syrup with 250ml warm water or tea. Children 2.5ml, 3- 4 times /per day.
Citation: Kuo E (2018)To Make 5 Elements Theory Elderberry Syrup